Original building skin|
(current situation-curtain facade)
Algae building skin|
|Public Benefits||Urban Heat Island Effect||
- Using artificial cooling.|
- No shading devices.
- High temperature around the building.
- Promotes natural cooling processes|
- Provides shade for surfaces/people
- Reduces the ambient temperature in urban areas
|Exterior Air Quality||High levels of harmful particles in the air and volatile organic compounds because of a large numbers of HVAC||
- Captures airborne pollutants|
- Filters noxious gases and particulate matter
- Deposition of pollutants and atmosphere
|Aesthetic||Its aesthetic appearance is acceptable, although unsuitable for hot countries.||
- Provide aesthetic variation in the environment|
- Increases property values
- Creates visual interest، hides/obscures unsightly features
|Private Benefits||Energy Efficiency||Daylight||
- Use of artificial lighting.|
- Reliance on natural lighting is limited or nonexistent.
|- Contributes to transmitting natural light inside the building, as it allows creating shades as desired by the user with different colors according to the type of algae.|
- The glass facades have a big role in heat transfer inside the building with minor lag.|
- Use of artificial ventilation to reduce thermal loads inside the building.
- Improves thermal insulation capacity.|
- Limits the transfer of heat through thick algae mass.
- Reduces the ambient temperature via processes of shading.
- The watery environment of algae also helps to reduce thermal loads.
|Original building skin (current situation-curtain facade)||
Algae building skin|
|Biofuel||Does not contribute.||- Production of biofuels (oil/lipid per dry weight. (|
|Private Benefits||Building Structure||Buildings exposed to the weathering elements and UV with time||- Protects exterior finishes from UV radiation, and temperature fluctuations.|
|Indoor Air Quality||
- Does not contribute to the renewal of air inside the building.|
- Resorts to mechanics for cooling, heating, and lighting.
- Filters noxious gases and volatile organic compounds, absorbing CO2
|Noise||Contributes to the transmission of sounds easily; therefore, noise-insulating materials must be used.||- The depth of the growing media, structural components, and the overall coverage reduce noise.|
|Marketing||- The HVAC system and artificial lighting are required for these buildings, making it more challenging to market.||- Improved aesthetics can help to market a project and provide valuable amenity space.|
|Reduce CO2||- Using algae facade reduces the level of CO2. The curtain facade does not contribute to this.|
|Efficient application & usage||
- The algae facade integrates into the entire building site design and uses multiple systems and forms.|
- Specific benefits can include security, privacy screening, shade, biodiversity, and habitat.
- It has the highest growth rate; it does not require using freshwater.
- worry about health concerns due to the presence of algae in the space.|
- It needs highly efficient and specialized maintenance, and in case it is not available, it will lead to problems.
- The negative perception of algae, which is associated with odors, therefore needs special care.